Friday, June 22, 2012

Recreating a complex logo from a blurry camera phone pic of a business card. Ahh, takes me back.

Of course the real challenge, outside of the obvious one, is that it needs to be done NOW. I am creating a flyer for a pizza restaurant. I don't have any assets besides a blurry pic of their business card. The logo has multiple fonts and a posterized image of the empire state building. The fonts are edited/skewed, etc., so Illustrator comes first.

The main font in the logo looks to be Copper, so that's a start. I type it out, kern, stroke, warp, and then convert to outlines.

The first letter is the only one that is really edited, but it's really odd, so it takes a while to get it close. Lots of node editing.

Next is finding the NY Yankee font, as they used the N Y from that logo. Again, time is my enemy here, so I end up finding a hi-res images of the N Y and trace it in AI. Not my best work, but it'll do.

Next is the Empire State Building graphic. Time was really the issue here, as I could search for hours looking for the exact same angle of the building, then another hour editing and posterizing. My version got the same effect, but was not the same as their logo. Of course I'm thinking that if they want it done right, they would have got me proper assets and/or give me a reasonable turn around time. But I'm not complaining. I am gettin' er done.

The flyer took me about an hour. I have not heard back, so I may be far from finished, but it was fun walking down memory lane with this excursion. It's not that I don't use a lot of these techniques for design, but designing from a business card does not usually come up doing agency work.

Back in my Verizon days it was every other site that was build off of a business card and maybe a brochure, if I was lucky.

Example. Joe's Plumbing needs a website. Here's his business card. The site must be launched today!

I am not exaggerating. My old SuperPages work mates know what I'm talking about.

- TTT

No comments:

Post a Comment